The Southampton Marathon is less than 4 weeks away. We are so fortunate to have some amazing runners who will be taking part to raise money for Communicare. Over these next few weeks we are going to share with you interviews with some of our incredible runners.
First up, the wonderful….
- What distance are you running?
- What motivated you to fundraise for Communicare?
Communicare does vital work in helping to reduce people’s feelings of loneliness and isolation across Southampton. After hearing about their great work as part of the Council’s Loneliness Scrutiny Inquiry Panel in 2017-18, I have been inspired to run and raise funds to help them reach more people on their waiting list.
- Why did you choose running as a fundraiser?
I am a member of Southampton Athletic Club and have raised over £10,000 for dementia and cancer research charities by running various races, including the London Marathon and the Grizzly 20 mile trail race in Devon twice.
- What are you most looking forward to in the Southampton Marathon?
I ran the Southampton Half Marathon in 2015 and was amazed by the level of support all around the city. It really helped on the hills! There are some brilliant views, especially from the top of the Itchen Bridge.
- Is the anything that you are nervous/concerned about with the Southampton Marathon?
As long as I get my pacing right, I should be OK. I hope it’s not too hot, as I prefer to run in cooler weather. I ran in the hottest London Marathon on record in 2007 and it was tough!
- Describe your training process? (Both mentally and physically)?
I love running and usually run 4 times a week. Doing something active outdoors helps my physical and mental health. I do a speed training session with Southampton Athletic Club once a week, another interval session with my husband, a long run at the weekend and Parkruns and RR10 summer cross country races.
- Do you listen to anything when running, if so what do you listen to?
No. I love the peace and the sounds of nature when running in the countryside and parks.
- What will you eat and drink to celebrate crossing the finishing line?
A big slice of cake!
- How much are you hoping to raise for Communicare? What is your Virgin Giving Link?
At the time of writing, Hannah is very close to meeting her fundraising target. Can you however help go past the finishing line. If so please give via Hannah’s virgin money giving account using the button below.